Special Note! This site contains affiliate links. If you click a link AND make a purchase we MAY make a small commission. The process costs you nothing. It is just how the company spends its advertising dollars.

Can Cats Eat Mint?

One of cat owners’ primary responsibilities is ensuring that their pets live in a healthy and safe environment, and providing them with safe food is one of the steps to a safe environment. If you are a vegetarian, do not assume that your cat will as well be a vegetarian. Several plants are safe with medicinal value for humans but poisonous to pets, especially cats. One of these plants is the mint. You are curious to know if you can feed your cat on mint? Right? Here is the information you need to know.

Can Cats Eat Mint

So, Can Cats Eat Mint?

Yes, felines can eat mint but in small amounts. The plant becomes poisonous only when taken in large volumes. However, according to the American Society of prevention of cruelty to animals, cats shouldn’t eat mint. ASPCA included all mint species in the list of plants poisonous to cats. Prolonged intake of mint often results in mint poisoning for most cats. However, remember that cats react differently to mint exposure.

Most cats love catnip, making most pet owners think that all mints are safe for pets. Catnip is not the same as mint, and most of the mint plants contain essential oils like peppermint oil which are harmful and toxic to felines. Most of the mint poisoning cases happen when cats eat huge amounts of mint or consume the concentrated mint types.

Mint Poisoning

Plants that have strong flavors or scents contain concentrated essential oils. Mint plants have essential oils that are poisonous to cats because of their high concentration. And this high concentration of oils is what will make the cats ill if they consume too much.

Other Plant Parts That Are Poisonous To Cats

Besides mint oils, all mint plant parts, including stems, flowers, and leaves, are poisonous to your furry friend. These parts contain a higher concentration of essential oils that are highly poisonous to kitties, dogs, and horses. Therefore, it is important to ensure that your feline friend doesn’t nip on any other part of mint.

Causes Of Mint Poisoning In Cats

Mint poisoning in cats is caused by excessive intake of mint and is rare because even if they eat, they will not consume that much to cause poisoning.

Symptoms For Mint Poisoning

With most mint species, it is rare for any illness to come after consumption. If any reaction occurs, it might be gastrointestinal irritation. But a few types of mint can cause real harm to a cat’s body if consumed in large quantities. Here are the symptoms you are likely to see if your kitty has mint poisoning.

  • Diarrhea
  • Liver damage
  • Headache
  • Vomiting
  • Upset stomach
  • General body weakness
  • Sedation
  • A cat becomes lazy and sleepy
  • In some serious and fatal cases, dehydration

Diagnosis Of Mint Poisoning

It is important to see a veterinarian if you are worried about your furry friend or see some severe symptoms. If you saw your kitty feeding on mint, it is advisable to share the information with your vet to make the diagnosis easier. Provide the cat’s full pharmaceutical history to easily identify any potential health issue that could render a cat more vulnerable to gastrointestinal sensitivity. After giving the information, the veterinarian will perform a complete physical examination to check for any abnormalities. The vet will collect the kitty’s blood to perform routine tests to assess its general health condition. The tests include a complete biochemical profile and blood count to measure blood cell and mineral levels.

Can Cats Eat Mint

Mint Poisoning Treatment In Cats

Mint poisoning in cats does not necessarily need treatment, but if the kitty had a pre-existing health condition or experiences a severe reaction after ingestion, treatment is necessary.

Remove Stomach Contents

The veterinarian will remove all abdomen contents by inducing vomiting using hydrogen peroxide.

Providing supportive care

Provide the cat with supportive care to make him feel comfortable. If it has been dehydrated by excessive vomiting, give it intravenous fluids to sustain the animal.


Mint is a poisonous plant to cats if the furry friend ingests it in large volumes. However, mint poisoning is rare, but if it happens, it is severe and even fatal. The best thing a pet owner can do to protect their feline family members from mint poisoning is to learn to recognize mint plants and avoid them in all possible ways. While buying catnip for your cat, ensure it has nepeta Cataria on the label.

You May Also Like:

Categories: Can Cat Eat Cats

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *